Red Velvet & Candy Cane Cookies are the perfect holiday combo for your dessert platter this season! They combine two of the most delicious & festive flavors and your guests will be begging for more. These cookies are super simple to make and they look beautiful too!
- 4 candy canes
- 1 (18-ounce) box red velvet cake mix (feel free to use chocolate cake mix if you are not a red velvet addict)
- 1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 unsalted stick butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese & butter until smooth. Beat in the egg & vanilla extract. Then beat in the cake mix & smashed candy canes. Cover the mixture & refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you easily can roll the batter into balls. (In a time crunch? Throw the batter in the freezer for 30-45 minutes) Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls & then roll them in confectioner’s sugar. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 15 minutes.
Cool the cookies completely & sprinkle with more confectioners’ sugar to achieve the look of snow.